View Single Post
Old 4th Jul 2011, 6:49 pm   #57
Mikeymushradio
Rest in Peace

Default Re: HMV 900 TV restoration.

Just had a quick look at the radio chassis and the mains tapping is set to 230-250 so that doesn't look good for the tv section.

Has anyone any idea what the smoothing block looks like in the radio as this one is AWOL, I have been searching for the service data for the table model equivalent but not had much success the nearest I have found is the HMV496 but the smoothers on that are mounted on the speaker.

The chassis has suffered from the damp storage with all the valves loosing their screening and all the wiring insulation having gone brittle and crumbling away when disturbed i am currently trying to find a suitable replacement sleeving,all the screened leads are also perished and several are shorted so these will need replacement again with something suitable,the dial cord has also rotted (good job it's not a Philips).

Once I have got all the caps re-stuffed and the sleeving replaced I will show it some mains and see what it does. I am expecting some coil trouble due to the poor storage although I have several '30s sets that have been stored badly and all eventually come to life with a little patience.

Mike.

Currently struggling with a Sobell T170 that had a pile of wood dust under it when i moved it the other day........ it lives in a wooden shed surrounded by lots of other woodies so it has now become a priority and the HMV is on hold at the moment.

Mike