View Single Post
Old 1st Aug 2017, 2:26 pm   #22
Levente
Hexode

Default Re: Ferrograph Reel Expert Help Please!

.....to follow up my previous post.

I did the test. I have a 60 or 50 cycle hum. Not sure where this is coming from just yet. Also, something is not right as I hear a huge POP when I turn a unit off. When I turn the unit on, I count 17 seconds until the power on light bulb comes alive.....I found this also a bit odd.

V1, V2, V3---- checked with a chop stick, V1 and V2 sounds microphonic. I've swapped around the V1 and V2, same microphony happening. V1 is more glassy than the V2, at both ways around.

If don't touch the unit at all, I can hear a sound like someone is gently moving some broken glass on the floor, and same when I turn the unit off, more frequently and fading away.

I am quite new to this scenario and not sure what could cause this.

I have a few questions and I would really appreciate if you could reassure me on few things:

1. Power plug ground is connected to the 50uf+50uf cap ground pin. This doesn't need to be connected to the chassis too?

2. Can besides a bad tube or tubes cause the microphony effect? Mean if all the tubes are fine, but still creating microphony/glassy sound when I tap them? (the V1 and V2 specifically)

3. How do you check the EZ1 rectifier tube if its OK or not? I only have a DMM shall I take it to someone more pro?

Thanks guys!!