View Single Post
Old 5th Aug 2022, 2:02 pm   #7
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

Default Re: Pi based MK14 VDU

Your fellow brainiac DeltaAlpha52 got dangerously close to that aim (of putting an MK14 online), he may even have succeeded by now but we have not heard back from him for a while. Have a look around for his MK14 related posts here on the forum.

As cool as it would be to do in a Big-Bang-Theory kind of way, I'm not sure how well it would be possible to share a single physical MK14 among many users online - these questions were already raised in DA52's relevant thread. As I said in that thread it would only be up and running for about five minutes before someone had it displaying 'bOObS' (or worse). DA52's original concept had a webcam looking at the MK14's display and something similar to my keypad optocoupler interface to allow an ESP type controller connected to the web to 'press' the keys on the MK14, mirroring user input on a webpage.

Like you, DA52 wondered whether it might be possible to mirror what was being displayed on the MK14's display to a 'mimic' display on a webpage but I was beginning to wonder, why involve a real MK14 at all if the user is not going to be able to see that they are interacting with the real thing.

As you may or may not be aware there is already an online MK14 emulator, written by Doug Rice. I occasionally use it to test bits of code myself, as it is quicker than getting one of the MK14s out and setting it up.

http://www.dougrice.plus.com/dev/seg_mk14.htm

This has the advantage that it can be used by many, not just one.
SiriusHardware is online now   Reply With Quote