View Single Post
Old 8th Jul 2019, 2:20 pm   #34
Techman
Dekatron

Default Re: Hacker GP42 and AL42 restoration help

It's probably best that you carry on with your investigation of the fault when you've finished work and settled down at home with the actual unit in front of you.

As I say, I don't have service information for this player here in front of me, so my advice is general for players of this type. The reservoir and smoothing capacitors will be of the 'electrolytic' type and are quite likely to be combined inside a large round silver can with the values and voltage rating marked on the side. After the unit has been on for a few minutes, see if the silver can is feeling slightly warm to the touch. If it is, then this will indicate that it's electrically leaky and will need replacement. Don't run the unit for too long in this state as they can thermally run away, getting increasingly warm and are likely to go off with a bang if left with power applied for long enough!

Find out what components you ACTUALLY NEED before even thinking about putting in an order. I fully qualified as a radio, TV and electronics engineer (City & Guilds) over five years of day release at college in the early to mid 70s, so I "should" know what I'm talking about - others may disagree