View Single Post
Old 10th Jul 2019, 12:58 pm   #5
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Default Re: The Wellgood Magloop Amp

It sounds like you've sorted it Barrie. 107mA at 10V doesn't sound out of the way.

Just to recap for anyone unfamiliar with the 'Wellgood' and 'Wellbrook' amplified loop receiving aerial:

The 'Wellgood' loop which Bazz has built is a clone of the 'Wellbrook' commercially made amplified loop, but whereas the Wellbrook is made on a piece of stripboard using two 2N2222 transistors, the 'Wellgood', devised by Dr George Smart, is built of a purpose designed compact printed circuit board.

There's been much debate about which transistors to use to optimise performance.

2N2222 transistors, which are small and cheap.(typically 18p each from UK suppliers).

Gary Tempest (not on this forum) had earlier designed a 5-transistor loop antenna using 2N5109s, which was published in the BVWS Bulletin, and kindly donated one to me. He'd built it 'Manhattan style' and I later devised a printed circuit board for it, and built another one, which worked fine. (I wrote that up in a thread on the forum and included the artwork for the PCB).

Gary later devised what might be termed a clone of the 'Wellgood', again using a Manhattan style board. This too featured in the BVWS Bulletin. As I was interested to see how the simpler 2-transistor design worked, I devised a PCB for it and built that version.

I'd installed the loop for the 5-transistor version on the outside gable end of my wooden workshop. It consisted of 15mm copper plumbing pipe in a 2M square. Up to that point, I'd used what many incorrectly refer to as a 'long wire' aerial - a 60ft end fed wire, which only becomes a 'long wire' at frequencies above 14MHz, but that's another story.

For the two transistor version, I made a 1m diameter loop of 15mm tube - the same dimeter as a Wellbrook loop. I've installed that on the gable end of the loft in my brick garage in the same orientation as the one on my shed. There's no discernible difference in performance. Appreciably higher signal strength and lower noise levels as compared to a wire aerial.

Gary in his 'Wellgood Clone' design again used 2N5109s, but I used 2N3866s which had been kindly donated by David, 'Radio Wrangler'. I tested them on a Peak Atlas DCA55. The Hfe ranged from 165 - 190, and I chose two with similar gain. They're a good bit larger than 2N2222's so if compactness is called for, they might pose a problem.

I fitted heat sinks to the transistors and their temperatures stabilised at 45 degrees C (113 F). I guess they'd get considerably hotter without heat sinks.

I Set RV1 on the PCB to midway then checked the supply current. If the amp draws around 100mA, that’s a good sign, but if it’s low - say 25mA - the circuit is in oscillation and Gary advises that the secondary wires of T1 will need to be reversed. With the circuit stable, RV1 is adjusted so that both transistors pass roughly the same current. With a current meter in the power lead, when balanced by adjusting RV1, the least current will be drawn. (In my case, 95mA).

The topic of receiving aerials crops up regularly on the forum and to my mind, an amplified loop will outperform any random length of wire, both in terms of signal strength and low noise. A loop scores on compactness and convenience too. A 1 Metre loop will fit on a balcony of an apartment, in the corer of a room, inside or outside a workshop, in a garden etc. It makes an enjoyable project for anyone with constructional skills, but for anyone not so inclined, there are countless users (including some on this forum) who are delighted with the commercial Wellbrook loop.

Lots of information in this earlier thread, with links to the Wellgood site of Dr George Smart and the BVWS articles by Gary Tempest, as well as the 2-transistor version I built:

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...Wellgood+clone

Enjoy using the 'Wellgood' Barrie!