View Single Post
Old 20th Aug 2017, 1:51 pm   #21
frankmcvey
Rest in Peace

Default Re: Quad II classic - help with tips, valve rolling and what to look for?

Quote:
I have another query regarding using 4,6 and 8 ohm speakers. Would i have to change the resistors based on this? They were originally setup for 15ohm from what i have read? Either way i have them connected to my DIY built Planet10 mini onken builds with Mark Audio Alpair 7.3 and they sound lush.

Hi, Vish,

No, you don't have to worry about changing resistors. All you have to do is to set the desired impedance (8 or 15 ohms) on the output transformer. The method of switching impedance on the Quad II isn't very user-friendly and involves desoldering a couple of links on the output transformer and connecting another couple. You'll see the tags just below the resistor board.

The details are given on this schematic

I'm not familiar with the speakers you mention, but they look to have a 5-10 ohm impedance over most of the audio range. You can swap over the links in the Quads to 8 ohm if you want, but you certainly won't hurt anything by leaving them in the 15 ohm position.

Cheers,

Frank

Edit - crossed with David this time!

Last edited by frankmcvey; 20th Aug 2017 at 2:00 pm.