View Single Post
Old 14th Feb 2018, 4:21 am   #93
ct92404
Pentode

Default Re: My first antique TV-Olympic Model 755-need help.

Nick,
Old tvs are actually pretty hard to find where I live! Especially one this old! I've been collecting antiques for several years, and I have NEVER seen one like this. When I saw it for sale online, I had to jump on it. The seller lived not too far away, so I met him in person. I got really lucky finding an antique tv like this, and one in fairly good condition. I think people in California aren't quite as much into antiques as the rest of the US, so maybe in other places it's easier to find old tvs. I see videos people post on YouTube of old tvs they come across and it makes me so jealous!

Kevin,
It was definitely a very rewarding project. It was so cool to see the tv slowly come back to life each time I worked on it. It was frustrating sometimes, especially since I had never tried to fix a tv before. I had restored several antique radios before, so I did have some experience, but there were still times when I felt like I was in way over my head. But little by little, I made progress and it helped to boost my confidence. I got really lucky with this one, because there wasn't really any serious problems with it -
it was mostly just the capacitors and a few resistors that had to be replaced. The cathode ray tube is good, the transformer is good, all the major parts were working. I think I could tackle another tv now that I have kind of a better understanding of how they work. But my only problem is space!