View Single Post
Old 4th Aug 2020, 11:04 am   #46
slidertogrid
Octode

Default Re: Your TV collection...

Hi Nick
Yes, it's an old VHS recording of the CH4 test card. The black and white film shown on the Dynatron was 'a late night double feature picture show' Followed by the test card with wake 'em up tone!
The camera has blanked off the bottom of the picture it tends to have a strobe effect when trying to photograph pictures off screen.
I was really lucky finding the HMV 2000 it came from a closed school where it was found locked away in a cabinet It must have been there years. Luckily when the builders arrived to strip the building and convert it they found the set and put it on ebay. they couldn't believe how much it had sold for, they thought someone would buy it for the cabinet and expected it to go for a few quid. they thought the cabinet was too nice to put in the skip...
They looked at me as if I was a bit mad when I said I was going to restore it and use it...
By coincidence the Dynatron was also bought from builders who had found it when renovating a building. Unfortunately that hadn't been quite so well cared for, it was incomplete and had many marks and scratches. It looks as if someone had played a game of noughts and crossed on the side...
The tube in the Sobell would probably be an A59-120W my GEC has a direct vision rim-guard tube but it's the earlier version with the thicker rimband like the early 11X colour tubes so probably an A59-11W?
These sets were still in production when the rimband tubes were out. I used to have another GEC with the same chassis that had a unprotected tube with a Fenbridge guard. It looks as if the production extended over a few years during which time different tubes were used as the technology advanced. I suppose it's possible to replace a tube that been previously fitted with a Fenbridge guard with a protected type but it would depend on the mounting points being the same for the rimband lugs …
Is the Sobell a late model? The last sets I believe had a partly transistorised signal board with only a PFL200 and PCL86 if it's one of these it could be that the tube is original?