View Single Post
Old 18th Aug 2019, 8:41 pm   #10
Norman Raeburn
Heptode

Default Re: Quad 33 one channel brighter

I have had another look at this today, I am now getting confused with the results.
It has the fault with the cancel button in or out which eliminates the tone circuitry. I have tried cleaning the connectors on the boards, wiggling the switches to see if the fault changes, it doesn't. I tried the turntable on the M1 and M2 inputs and it doesn't reverse the channel the fault is on. I have checked every component on the phono amp board, also swapping the tone circuit boards makes no difference. I have tried metering the input switches for high resistance but that seems ok.
Another thing is, when you swing the balance control from side to side the volume comes up considerably on the left channel (the bright side)and by quite a bit less on the right. Looking at the circuit for the balance I can't get my head around what's going on there.
I will get back to this tomorrow and note my findings. There isn't much left to check so I am thinking I have missed something. Sorry for the long post and thanks for the suggestions. Norman