View Single Post
Old 8th Feb 2018, 1:51 pm   #7
The Philpott
Dekatron

Default Re: 'Record' Bond Tester (1944 and 1957)

A most excellent and bodacious item Phil (Evershed one rather nice as well- is that a factory seal on the screw Andy?)

I just had a speculative trawl thro' the ads at the front of the Air Force List for 1941, and as expected there is no Ad for the Record bond tester.

AP number, i agree, likely to be Admiralty Pattern number. Unfortunately a fairly comprehensive list for WW1 AP refs exists, but not for the WW2 period as far as i can tell.

I can realistically see a Bond Tester being heavily used and relied upon by both the Senior Service and the RAF, aircraft carriers and the fleet air arm certainly had a lot of salt spray to contend with. NiFe Cells are certainly something i associate with marine use due to their robustness and longevity. The CAM ship pilots in WW2 were the ones i feel sorry for- Hurricane goes up, chases a real or imagined Fw200 off, then ditches in the sea- no use for a bond tester there!

NiMh good choice- good charge density but not good charge retention compared to NiCd- you might need to gee them up if it's been idle for a while?

I can't imagine the ruckus caused if a fitter signed a bond tester out then left it on board an aircraft- Easily done in the gloom though.

Dave