View Single Post
Old 3rd Feb 2018, 11:28 pm   #3
1100 man
Octode

Default Re: Marconiphone VT161 17" TV

Hi David,
I found & read your thread last week when I started experimenting with the repaired LOPT. It's praise indeed that John rates it as one of the best chassis ever produced! I must say that the picture I saw when I was testing it was amazing- very sharp & contrasty. It will be even better when the dodgy caps in the frame stage have been replaced and the set given a general going over. I seem to remember I had a 'breathing' picture on it years ago, so I will investigate the main cap for leakage & value.

Such a small mains dropper: nothing like the immense amount of volts & heat that has to be got rid of in my Pilot!! It has a much higher valve count and a valve rectifier so much less heater dropping required. The Pilot is pared down to the bone when it comes to valves used!
I suspect, being 90 degree, that the HT current will also be less than the 110 degree Pilot. I will measure it just out of interest.
Right, time to pull the LOPT apart again and start the final repair/ re- insulation process. This will take a week or so by the time the varnish dries.
I would be very interested to know what our LOPT rewinders (MB & ED) use to insulate the final overwind.
I am really looking forward to getting this set running perfectly as I know it is capable of such good results.
All the best
Nick