View Single Post
Old 1st May 2017, 1:02 am   #429
WilliamTK1974
Tetrode

Default Re: Bygone radio traders

I remember another shop over here, located in the suburban area of East Ridge, TN, near Chattanooga. Might have been called Stereo World, or something like that. They were a repair shop, and could fix about anything. Owner was a different duck, looked like a cigarette was grafted to his lower lip at all times. Anything he fixed had to be aired out a bit, but it worked. One day, I went in there and his wife was there. She told me that he was almost entirely illiterate, but seemed to have just picked up how to fix things through gut instinct. She ran the business, ordered parts etc, and he did the work. He later told me that modern gear was essentially garbage, consisting of a bunch of microchips strung together that made it hard to figure out what was really wrong with something.

They closed up shop about 20 years ago. At one point, they briefly resurfaced, but I didn't have anything to take to them, and they disappeared again. Now, there's another shop in East Ridge called Stereo World, but it's a completely different place. Seems to cater to the loud car radio market.

Radio Wrangler said:
Quote:
There is a difference in attitude in our two countries If you can play around with electronic or mechanical things and make them work, or design new things. In the USA you are considered useful, in Japan and Germany you are respected as one of the creators of their level of wealth. In Britain, you are considered odd.
This is true, though it can depend on who you're talking to. Alot of people seem to look at ham radio operators as a bit odd, at least until they encounter them in a disaster or helping out at some community event. As far as fixing radios goes, people will look at you and ask how in the world you learned to do that, or why do you fix those old things when you can get one that's so much better new.

Last edited by WilliamTK1974; 1st May 2017 at 1:08 am.