View Single Post
Old 28th Apr 2017, 5:00 pm   #427
avocollector
Heptode

Default Re: Bygone radio traders

OOoh does this thread bring back memories - of being a kid in the 60's and poring over Practical Wireless/Electronics and seeing Henry's Radio ads or Home Radio, going into Birmingham and fossicking in the surplus place near the Bull Ring (anything in this bin 6d) or up the back street in Bromsgrove where the component place was. Funny how they fell into two types - the modern, ordered shop with usually an older guy and some younger staff who could locate anything modern in a trice. Then there was the older place with everything stacked everywhere in dusty boxes and piles and elderly Reg or Bert in a dustcoat coming in and saying things like '50uF 300V electros? I think there's some over there' with a wave of the hand. I used to love visiting the Reg or Bert emporiums and they even existed over here in New Zealand when I arrived back in the 70's - now those and even the modern independent shops have vanished. All that is left is the odd chain store such as Tandy's or Jaycars. To be fair the internet has supplied some of the missing surplus stuff but you do miss the oldies!!!