View Single Post
Old 25th Apr 2017, 10:35 am   #422
dazzlevision
Dekatron

Default Re: Bygone radio traders

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'LIVEWIRE?' View Post
In this area (North & West Oxfordshire) the component shops have all long gone. There were two in Banbury, one called Arrow Audio, which, IIRC, was above a shop in George Street, the other in a row of shops demolished to make way for a new road, closed earlier, Witney Audio in the town of that name, and at least one in Oxford.
I well remember Witney Audio Centre, run by Brian and Dave. Originally in Corn Street, they later moved to the High Street. They opened around 1971 (whilst I was in the Sixth Form, if my memory serves me well) and I used to buy components from them, including valves, to repair/refurbish old monochrome TVs. I also bought my first HiFi cassette deck from them, a Tandberg TCD300 (which I still have).

They were Sony dealers and had a KV-1310UB on demo in their showroom for a very long time. I believe the image of Test Card F was burnt into the phosphor screen eventually!

They did celebrate 25 years in business, but they closed down a few years after that.

Prior to Witney Audio opening, I either used mail order (Home Radio) or caught the bus to Oxford and used Westwoods in George Street (they had a wholesale operation, Duval, at the same address).

Happy days!

Last edited by dazzlevision; 25th Apr 2017 at 10:42 am. Reason: Added text.