View Single Post
Old 18th Jan 2023, 1:58 am   #17
GeoffB17
Tetrode

Default Re: Bulk erase mini DV tapes?

Hmm?

I wonder why this is?

Firstly, checking details re the miniDV process, I note that the tape is a type of metal tape, I'd assume not THAT different to metal audio cassettes. I'm not sure how different the erase parameters are between normal audio tape, and metal audio tape.

Secondly, the data is recorded as compressed data, somewhat like mp3, so the data on the tape is not the 'actual' data, but needs to be uncompressed anyway. I suppose that there is a lot of ability built into this process to protect the images, so that there could be a lot of scope for getting a viable image even from somewhat corrupted data. I'd guess that even so, there may be a threshold at which point the damage is too much to allow such correction?

Also, there seems to be a lot of digital data for each frame of the video, and this will further increase the robustness of the recording.

The transformer types of erasers might not be practical - to the point of being dangerous, but a strong magnet right on a tape for hours, overnight even, might do something?

Actually, I have a JVC camera that uses miniDV. It doesn't work any more, in that it suffers with the known problem of the image sensor failing so I cannot record, but it plays back fine. The tapes I have have been transferred to PC, but I'm not ready to dispose of the material on the tapes just yet, otherwise I'd try myself. You cannot erase part of a tape using the methods we're discussing here, it's all-or-nothing, and while many of my tapes have some 'rubbish' on, they all have bits that are valuable. I think I have one blank tape, but I cannot record onto it.

Geoff

Last edited by GeoffB17; 18th Jan 2023 at 2:04 am. Reason: extra info