View Single Post
Old 6th Sep 2022, 6:56 pm   #44
jamesinnewcastl
Heptode

Default Re: Standard Beam Approach - Rebuild update

Hi, some more...

I'm replacing all the dodgy or potentially dodgy components with new 'look-alikes'.

I've posted the usual restuffed capacitors but I am now tasked with replacing the resistors of the type that came after the dog-bone ones in the Marker Receiver that I did earlier.

So, I have obtained some plastic tubing and painted on plastic primer and body colour - see pics. To paint the stripes I simply held the bodies on a drill and touched the rotating body with a paint brush.

I'm sealing the ends with a wood filler that is almost exactly the right colour out of the tin - great but the resistors are small and don't fill the tube so I have an issue that I can't put the filler in as the resistor would move. Incidentally the white resistor in the pic is just a trial - the resistor would go in the painted item.

Also the resistor in a plastic tube isn't great from a heat dissipation point of view. Actually there would be an air gap and then a plastic tube. I'm going to get rid of the air gap and hold the resistor concentric by wrapping a thin layer of copper tape over the body of the resistor. The right length making a tight fit and two problems are fixed!

Of course I have now lost the air gap between the leads but I don't believe I will have much of a problem. My ultimate issue may only show up when I power the thing up. Arcing and melting resistors take one step forward!

So now I need to make a full set of components!

Cheers
James
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6310.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	99.3 KB
ID:	264364   Click image for larger version

Name:	Img_6392.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	39.2 KB
ID:	264365