View Single Post
Old 12th Sep 2021, 7:35 pm   #25
AlanC
Hexode

Default Re: Standard Beam Approach - Rebuild update

Hi James,

Yes that photo is spot on and apologies for the inaccuracies - it was a long time ago. Mine came from Bardwell's in Sheffield - which will be well known to anyone from this area who is into radio and electronics. Norman used to buy things from various sources known only to him that he thought would be of interest to his customers, and you never knew what to expect! Particularly, in the mid 70's there was still a lot of military surplus stuff available. One Saturday I went down and there was the R1466 all on its own and I had to have it! It couldn't have been very expensive as I was pretty broke in those days, but it was in good condition and painted in a light grey, almost cream, colour. I soon figured out the heater, HT and audio connections and found it to be working, though when you tuned in a signal it went through a number of peaks either side of the correct tuning point because of the LO problem I described earlier. That fixed, it was a good sensitive receiver. I had a n ex TV UHF tuner lying around and I knew that its IF output was at around 36Mc/s which the 1466 covered. This combination pulled in the local 70cm repeater plus UHF PMR and telemetry signals very well - slope detecting the FM of course as the 1466 is an AM receiver. Its exact fate is unknown but I suspect it succumbed to one of my parent's clear-outs after I left home.

Cheers
Alan

Last edited by AlanC; 12th Sep 2021 at 7:48 pm.