View Single Post
Old 18th Sep 2013, 7:16 pm   #9
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Default Re: TV's etc run off light fittings.

For a brief period in my student-days I lived in a small hall-of-residence that was actually an old seafront hotel which had been condemned as unfit for hotel-duty but still OK for students to live in.
There were various student bands who sought somewhere to practice and the only place that was sufficiently soundproof was the basement. Which was lit by a single incandescent bulb dangling from the ceiling on a bit of cotton/rubber-covered 'figure-of-8' flex.

Of course students being students they soon replaced this lightbulb with a 3-way BC adaptor and hooked up their various guitar- and vocals-amps as well as the bulb: I reckon they were probably drawing about a Kilowatt in total.

Lacking any kind of earth, and coupled with the damp, stone-floored basement they got major hum-issues and occasional non-fatal but still 'interesting' electric-shocks: the vocalist learned not to touch his lips on the metal mic-screen.

[My role in all this was as designer/builder of indestructible amplifiers using 807s and KT88s because I didn't trust the lots-of-OC35s-in-push-pull-parallel approach to be able to survive the abuse]