View Single Post
Old 4th May 2021, 8:57 pm   #1836
ScottishColin
Octode

Default Re: Non-working Commodore PET 3016

OK - here's the overall summary of this entire mammoth thread which started on the 1st January this year and has 1835 posts (including this one), and has 35,450 views.

I had a broken 3016 and had it since 2012. It had power and I could see the monitor's orange colour in the back of the CRT tube, but that was it. The first person to reply was SiriusHardware, and I know lots of other people helped out, but he stayed with me all the way. I could not have done this without his help, patience, and logical approach. It's even more remarkable when he said he's never even seen a PET.

I didn't want to get it back to how it left the factory - it had a few dents and bruises and I wanted to keep them where I could. Its source had been scratched into the case - Kendall College of Further Education and I've managed to keep them through the rub-down/re-spray. I also managed to keep the QC stamps on the inside of the case that no-one will ever see, but it seemed important to me to keep.

I've learnt so much - I've put a blog post up here which lists all that I have learnt, and has lots more photographs.

https://colinjhaynes.wordpress.com/

I've replaced 17 chips and added 18 sockets (the difference is a chips that checked out OK but their sockets didn't, including the 6502).

The chips replaced were:

UA7
UA8
UB2
UB3
UC3
UC4
UC9
UE7
UE8
UE10
UF7
UF8
UF9
UG5
UH1
UH3
UH6

And Sirius kindly burnt me a new UD7 PROM as that one was faulty.

I spent pretty much exactly £300 - £40 on point, £150 on sockets and chips, £80 on meters and on a USB oscilloscope and the remainder on sundries (an Arduino, motherboard stand-offs, leaded solder, user-port interfaces etc).

We dealt with a faulty IEEE port and a faulty datasette #2 port. I got advice on how to remove and reattach the stickers, how to discharge a CRT (which seemed important to know really).

It seemed that others got interested in this thread and I had more than one private message encouraging me along.

I'd really like to thank every single person who chipped in with help, advice, testing code, kind queries on my duff scope readings and general tolerance of my sometimes naive questions. It's been a brilliant lockdown project and there's one PET rescued to add to the collection now.

Thanks everyone - I think we're done now until it breaks again. Anyone who ever manages to travel to Perth must give me a shout so I can buy you a pint.

Colin.

Last edited by ScottishColin; 4th May 2021 at 9:04 pm.