View Single Post
Old 4th Apr 2021, 11:24 pm   #1317
ortek_service
Octode

Default Re: Non-working Commodore PET 3016

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottishColin View Post
That was my question - well divined and apologies.

I'll check continuity from the pins in the EPROM you sent me first before I make any changes, but I may go for a new socket; I'll let you know tomorrow. And if I do I'll be careful pushing another socket into it - I don't want to have to fight with trying to remove a turned-pin socket from this motherboard.

Colin.
I think it's also worth carefully checking the Character ROM socket, as it would seem like that could also be a bit intermittent if characters have now changed a bit.

If a motherboard's IC socket's pins have got opened up a bit too much, and you were going to replace it at some point anyway, then inserting an extra turned-pin one into it temporarily may at least provide a better contact to it just for testing / eliminating things for now.
With normal rectangular pin type IC sockets, you could probably also fit one of these into the board's sockets, as a sacrificial 'saver' when inserting turned-pin adaptors to prevent damage to the board's ones.
- Although at least turned pins are usually only 0.64mm, whereas attempting to force 0.64x0.64mm square headers into IC sockets, that I have seen used before on some adaptor boards, almost certainly opens the socket's contacts out too much (if they even go in at all, on some types)