View Single Post
Old 1st Aug 2022, 9:26 am   #1
percival007
Heptode

Default Philips ISP IS5021

Hi All,

I have been asked to look at a Philips ISP IS5021...............
( https://www.dutchaudioclassics.nl/Fo...ound-enhancer/ )

It has failed on one channel and I have discovered it is the Right channel Volume Control which has physically broken and failed at zero Volume.
The tiny spiggot which should protrude from the actual knob and mate with the Resistor actuator has snapped. I have attempted a repair and have been slightly successful but it is not as 'smooth' any longer, in feel and operation.

I can find no service manual, Hi-Fi Engine etc etc.
I have approached Dutch Audio Classics (see above) but as yet no reply.

The control is an ALPS unit. 5 Pins and not a conventional Variable Resistor.
It operates in the Digital Domain, I think, and varies a Voltage or Current. I think maybe Current as I can see nothing changing when 'scoping the Pins (on the good channel).
One Pin sits at 5V, constantly and the rest appear 0V, constantly but the control is doing what it should on the good channel.

I wonder, does anyone have a service manual for this and can give me the part number? Who knows, I may be able to find one somewhere.
(Picture of disassembled control attached but not great quality, sorry. The long silver coloured protrusion is my 'fix' cut to a more appropriate length.)

Thanks,

James.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WhatsApp Image 2022-07-31 at 12.51.03 PM.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	261935  

Last edited by percival007; 1st Aug 2022 at 9:28 am. Reason: Added clarification