View Single Post
Old 8th May 2022, 10:08 pm   #18
murphyv310
Dekatron

Default Re: GEC BC5050 receiver.

To be fair when repairing any AC only set I only remove the rectifier valve and plug in via the variac and just advance the output in three or four steps.
Normally if the mains transformer is duff it will have leaked wax or pitch if its seriously overheated.
It's always a good idea to leave the valves and dial bulbs in situ bar the rectifier anyway as it gives a quick indication of the health of the mains transformer.

When you say the sets been got at remember that many customers would only pay a paltry sum for repairs so bridging smoothers was common as it kept the repair costs down, often a smoother was low in value and not likely to pop its clogs so a cap would just be fitted in parallel, I've had many original smoothing caps just totally open circuit as well. If the original is swelling and leaking then it should be removed from the circuit.

Incidentally have you seen there is a Scottish Meet on the 28th of this month at my place in Kilmarnock, perhaps it would help you with repairs there are many very experienced engineers coming. See the groups and events section.