View Single Post
Old 17th Apr 2021, 8:48 am   #14
Diabolical Artificer
Dekatron

Default Re: Single ended Class A OP stages.

Yes,the OPT's is designed for SE operation, came out of a Lowe radiogram driven by an ELL80 which was kaput.

Class AB1 has puzzled me too. When drawing a load line for a PP stage the Class B line is 1/4 of the load,your draw that then the Class A line which is 1/2 the load, then slide the Class A line up a bit until the two lines intersect,that's your bias point. But in a SE stage what load does Class B see? Here on my graph I've assumed 1/2 of the load, not sure that's right. Can't see how you can run a SE stage in Class B without heavy distortion.

With these OPT's I tried a PCL86 first, then tried an ECC88 and 6AQ6A,my reason being the ECL/PLC 86 is designed for amplifying low voltage sources like radio or ceramic PU. In my application the signal source will be an Iphone/MP3, an ECC83 type triode has way too much gain for this ap.

I also tried different OP valves and loads to try and find out why I could only get about 1.5w out this despite different biasing & different loads. Also tried a different OPT, still could only get about 3.5v out before clipping. 3.5^2/5 = 2.45w 3.5^2/8 = 1.5w THD at these levels was over 12%. Figures are approximate.

Looking at my load lines you'll see we get about a 350v V swing, so with a 44:1 T ratio - 350/44 = 7.9v P-P, which is 2.79v RMS. Therefore the limiting factor in all this is the HT & high OPT T ratio, but HT most of all.

I'll have another read of your comments, it'll take awhile to digest em but have include a schematic- valve is PCL86 and load lines. Load line graph is on the Vg2 200v, actual is Vg2 230v but this was too messy to show.

Andy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00276.JPG
Views:	58
Size:	162.4 KB
ID:	231957   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00275.JPG
Views:	77
Size:	157.8 KB
ID:	231958