View Single Post
Old 26th Oct 2020, 9:51 am   #11
trh01uk
Octode

Default Re: Duxford Radio Society.

While not disagreeing with you about the role amateurs played in WWII, I don't see that as the major contribution that the DRS has made. Sure, they have a radio amateur station, but that is one of many things they are offering, and certainly not where they appear to excel. Furthermore, "exhibition" amateur stations can be found in many places, and if they really have fallen out with the IWM over "amateur radio", then they probably deserve the trouble they are now in. They could have entirely ditched the amateur radio side and still had a very unique and very important offering, which the IWM should be desperate to keep.

I refer to many of the exhibits shown on the page earlier referred to. Things like "a working Monica tail warning radar", or a "Working WW2 RAF 'Gee' airborne navigation receiver", or a "working RAF H2S ground-mapping radar". If these claims are true (and I have never been to Duxford to see for myself), then these exhibits are unique, and GEE and H2S were some of most remarkable inventions of WWII, which should be celebrated as such. If the IWM trustees can't see the value of these, then they are really not fit to be in that position!

Richard