View Single Post
Old 1st Feb 2018, 10:39 pm   #14
The Philpott
Dekatron

Default Re: Weird experiments as a beginner in this hobby

..It's..feasible- angle-iron formed the frame and there were the standard links and springs arranged between these angle-irons in a sort of geodetic arrangement that you would expect on an old dismantleable bedstead. When breaking these up and repurposing the angles many years later we found the steel to have nasty hard inclusions in it that laughed at an HSS drill bit- it was really scabby material. The house was a bit damp in places (1800 vintage) and my Dad had Marconi transmitters and receivers stashed away in the junk room downstairs.. i wonder if he was a closet 'ham at the time and was playing downstairs after bedtime!

There was a disused, (damp) blocked up chimney and fireplace next to the bed- can't think how this would be relevant but one never knows. The smoke from the rayburn downstairs went up a parallel chimney and the two merged within the chimneystack.

I always used to know when my metal detector had found a dumped underground bedstead or mattress in the grounds because of the interference generated by the mesh pattern- whenever this interference appeared i didn't bother to dig!