View Single Post
Old 10th Jun 2019, 2:16 pm   #2
Argus25
No Longer a Member

Default Re: HMV 582 Options

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychMan View Post
Hi All,

I suppose what Im asking is, what other options there might be, short of refinishing that aren't furniture restorer, wax pens and polish?

Can anything be applied over the top in some places to blend in with the top lacquer coat?
There are some "tricks" that can be used. Often scratches and marks in old varnished, lacquered or French polished surfaces can be rendered nearly invisible with a little help from nature. It depends on how severe they are.

If you crack an Almond nut in half (other nuts can work too, even peanuts) you have an object which is soft , yet microscopically abrasive and containing nut oils.

It can be used as a polishing stick or tool, to totally obscure scratches by rubbing it along the defect.

You will be quite surprised how well this works. The abrasive component smooths the edges of the scratch and the oil obscures the remainder.

Mind you, while I know this works & have used it on occasions, my M/O is normally a complete restoration, which means removing all the old lacquer, finishing the timber to an ultra-smooth surface and then applying multiple coats, because if you really want it to look wonderful, there are no shortcuts.