View Single Post
Old 1st Jun 2020, 12:31 am   #7
fetteler
Octode

Default Re: Faraday chamber.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Wrangler View Post
Um, that isn't actually a Faraday chamber, you know?

If it was one, it would probably be useless for what you want it for. Faraday shielding is very special. It stops only electric fields and lets magnetic fields go straight through.

Faraday invented the screen named after him as a means to demonstrate that his newly invented transformer operated by magnetic coupling, not capacitive.

David
Hi David,

I'm curious and have been searching on the internet for details of what (exactly) Faraday's original shield was and can't find anything. I'm especially interested in exactly how his screen differs from what is apparently the common misconception of a wire mesh, steel box or even an aluminum flight case. Can you point us in the right direction? I thought I had it straight in my mind but after reading a few recent posts on the subject I realise I might not actually understand as much as I thought I did, especially after reading some of your own condemnations of the phrase "Fraday cage" which (in the context they were used) did not seem to me to be too troublesome. All this has left me feeling that there's a subtlety which you are more than aware of and, unfortunately I am not!

Thanks,
Steve.

Last edited by fetteler; 1st Jun 2020 at 12:40 am.