View Single Post
Old 20th May 2020, 9:29 am   #22
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Default Re: Saba TK75. Any Thoughts?

After a big struggle I got the Input/Recording level Control removed. It is completely shot.

The wiper is totally open circuited from its 1 Mohm track. There are 5 other connections (also an unused switch connection and 2 earth connections) these I am pretty sure are the 2 switches identified on the schematic as "Part of automatic switch". The SPST switch is working but the SPDT switch is not working.

The mains On/Off DPDT switch sometimes works, but mechanically the switch actuation (denoted by the feel/sound) occurs at different rotational angles, i.e. the on/off switch mechanism must be moving as well as not always electrically working .

Wil be impossible to find a compatible replacement. I will take it all apart but am 100% sure that it will not be fixable and will just end up with loads of broken bits.

So I have ordered a standard 1 Mohm Log potentiometer with DPDT mains switch, it will only have a 43mm long shaft so will need to cut relevant length off old shaft and somehow couple the 2 shafts together to get the required length. This then will give me an operational record level and mains on/off switch.

The 2 switches for the automatic operation are much more problematical, I will have to hardwire permanently either with automatic operation disabled or enabled. This will take quite some checking of the cabling connections back to the various relay connections to establish which wire is what, which will not be easy at all.

Big mystery now is what is the SPDT switch contacts I previously found behind the metal cover next to the shaft of the Control ?? There are only 3 switches listed in the part list and it is not any of those ?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Record level control.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	206263