View Single Post
Old 7th May 2020, 9:07 pm   #14
Philips210
Nonode

Default Re: VLF Receiver for Sferics, Whistlers, Dawn Chorus, etc?

Hi.

A few pics attached of my VLF Receiver (PE October 1979). Note the CA3140E op amp on a skew angle. This was a temporary measure as the PCB is intended for the 'T' version (transistor style metal can). I'll replace the plastic package version for the correct type when one becomes available.

I did a work around on the three pot cores for the mains frequency filter as the original pot cores weren't obtainable.

The little audio amplifier IC that drives the headphones is an odd one. It's a Motorola MC3360P and I amazingly found one amongst my stock of junk. I remembered where it originally came from. It was from an Everday Electronics BFO type metal detector project (late 1977) by FG Rayer. This could easily be updated for a more current style chip no doubt.

The aerial looks straightforward to build using a multicore screened cable. A junction box allows the 'windings' to be made by looping the wires together in sequence to form a multiturn coil. I hope to build the aerial and test out the complete set up before too long. Time is the problem these days though.

Regards,
Symon
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP7909.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	205192   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP7907.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	115.5 KB
ID:	205193   Click image for larger version