Thread: Museums
View Single Post
Old 6th Oct 2019, 1:37 pm   #113
peter_scott
Dekatron

Default Re: Museums

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiriusHardware View Post
I didn't make my first visits to the National Museum Of Scotland and the Kelvingrove in Glasgow until relatively recently and as soon as I walked into both venues I knew that they had been 'Hancocked', and I dearly wish I had taken the opportunity to visit both museums in the days before this happened.
Quoting from my website:

"When I was a kid I used to love visiting The Royal Scottish Museum in Edinburgh. It was a fascinating place crammed with wonderful technological exhibits and the one that fascinated me the most was a 1936 HMV television. The model 901 was displayed in an island display case with glass on all sides so that you could see all the works with little labels identifying the major assemblies and it used really vintage technology, valve types that dated from the early 30s. For me, growing up in the 1950s, television was a modern thing but here was a television from the past. The tube had a very small deflection angle and was therefor rather long and had to be mounted vertically in the cabinet and viewed through a mirror in the lid.

Anyway, time moved on and the Science Gallery shut down for many years of renovation and my favourite exhibit was consigned to the store room. Unfortunately, when it reappeared it was pushed to the back of crowded display case with no view of its vintage works."

Peter

Below, the museum set in storage.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	File0016 (Medium).jpg
Views:	154
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	191385  

Last edited by peter_scott; 6th Oct 2019 at 1:44 pm.
peter_scott is offline   Reply With Quote