View Single Post
Old 7th Mar 2018, 4:45 pm   #27
broadgage
Nonode

Default Re: Electric clocks running slow warning

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominicbeesley View Post
Is this a nationwide thing? Has the voltage also been cut?

We had a (non weather related) power cut a week and a half ago and since then my voltage has been lower than usual.

Here, it's usually around 245V during the day. My computer UPS kicks in around 217V and has been doing so for about 50% of the time (mostly in the evening). Some days it has been as low as 197V! I keep meaning to ring Northern Power (or whoever is responsible) and complain but I really don't have the patience or time to spend arguing with somebody.

Voltage is around 230-233V now, the highest I've noticed since the cut

My Decca Bradford has refused to sync since the low voltage, I'm glad I heard the UPS or I would have started tweaking.

I need to get my multi meter out and test here and other houses locally to see if this is a problem isolated to my house or the whole town or the whole UK?

D
A sustained low mains voltage often follows a power cut.
Immediately after a fault, supply may be restored via an alternative route that is longer or already heavily loaded and the voltage thus reduced.

As a simplified but illustrative example, consider a suburban road a mile long with a single main along the road and fitted with link boxes at several points.
Normally, the north end of the road is fed from substation A, the south end from substation B, and the middle part is connected via a main in a side street to substation F.
If substation A fails, then by inserting fuses or links in the link boxes, the customers normally supplied by A will be supplied by either B or by F .
The loading on B and on F will be increased, and the distance between transformer and customer also increased.

In practice the arrangements may be more complex, but the principle remains, that following a fault, power may be restored via different route.