View Single Post
Old 7th Nov 2014, 3:35 pm   #37
wireful3
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Restoring my old Soviet radios

Hello Miguel, I am interested to know you have started on Soviet Radios as I have a few in my collection. I think you will find it very rewarding, when working properly the performance is very impressive. Many were imported into the UK by TOE as has been said earlier. At the time the cost was quite modest and I doubt whether there was any other multi band radio available that compared in performance or price. I understand that TOE had a team of technicians who checked them in the UK before sale to ensure they had not suffered in transit.

Your MW problem is puzzling because the coil strip that also includes the trimming capacitors seems to be fine, when you put it in another working set it was OK. A known good coil strip put in the set you are repairing gave the same problem. I can't think there is anything on the pcb that is only used on MW. You might find there is some distortion in the turret switch that prevents proper contact with one of the spring fingers and the studs but only in the MW position.

As Paul has said, it is interesting to think that faults might be very different because of climate. The rusting leads of the transistors is a point I had not thought about. I have only had one instance of this and I changed the transistor for a similar general purpose type and this solved the problem. The only major mechanical problem I have found is that the plastic tends to get brittle and can easily break. It emphasises that these are old sets and when they were built there may not have been much information on the life of the plastics used for the moulded parts.