View Single Post
Old 2nd Jul 2018, 8:29 am   #38
Focus Diode
Octode

Default Re: Decca DR101 dual standard TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavinhall View Post
I spent ages getting mine running and it's interior was full of woodworm. It was working for a few weeks (courtesy of talking pictures TV) and the audio began to fade out, then the LOPT overheated and dripped wax on the bottom of its cage.

Sad to say it's no longer operational (still looks nice though) and to be honest I got a bit fed up with it so I don't know if it's salvageable. There was no smoke or smell, it was working when I switched it off but didn't come back on so I left it after the wax discovery.
Sorry to distract from David's fine work on his set but recall the post from Gavin. Perhaps someone could provide a link?

Probably a long shot and you've already checked these: the boost capacitor, PL36, PY801 and the line oscillator valves. Is there line drive minus volts to the PL36's control grid?
Is there line whistle?

Alternative to the Jellypot conversion is the possibility of having the original Lopt rewound. David's Jellypot conversion in his later Decca set works wonders though. It'll have to be a dual standard one of course, such as the Thorn 1400 if you require 405 as well as 625.

Brian