View Single Post
Old 17th Feb 2019, 8:14 pm   #32
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

Default Re: Looking to build RF detector probe for low frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argus25 View Post
If a Tunnel diode is used in reverse (called a back diode) it acts like a diode with zero forward voltage drop, but it only works for low level signals because its effective PIV rating is quite low.
Ever since the 2016 thread on diode detectors, it's been a subject which I keep a constant eye on, and some time ago, I found references to the use of tunnel diodes (TD) as detectors for low signal levels. Unfortunately, it seems that most of the papers I found (typically from the 1960's) looked the question from a theoretical standpoint. None of the papers I found and filed have any practical descriptions of such detectors.

One reason for my interest in TD's is simply that I have some, salvaged from a computer board in the early 1970's, but for those who do not have them in their junk boxes, quite a range of ex-Soviet TD's are available cheaply on-line.

If it's the case that the TD's have limited signal handling capacity, can't this be made a virtue by way of needing to reduce the coupling of the TD to the circuit under test, and so imposing minimum loading on that?

B