View Single Post
Old 7th Feb 2019, 11:12 pm   #81
emeritus
Dekatron

Default Re: Changing the throw away culture, BBC News

My Gateway 2000 PC, bought in 1999, is stil in use with my Epson scanner that has a negative/ transparency adaptor that can accomodate negatives up to 4" x 5". I also like the Kodak/Wang imaging software that was bundled with it. I did investigate getting a copy for my laptop, but it would have cost over £400. Likewise, the bundled cut down version of Adobe Photoshop is more than adequate for my purposes. However, it is on its third CRT monitor! I acauired a couple of spares when we had an upgrade at work.

I did buy a LCD monitor but it sent back. It only gave a sharp display at one resolution (not the one I use) and when I tried improving things with a CD it came with that was supposed to enhance performance, it corrupted the os so that the display vanished after less than a minute. To reinstall the original display driver software I had to hook it up to a printer and run it under DOS in command mode, echoing everything to the printer. It has never really been right since, but the stuff I need it for works, so I have left it as it is.

Last edited by emeritus; 7th Feb 2019 at 11:27 pm.