View Single Post
Old 12th Jan 2019, 7:47 pm   #50
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Default Re: Changing the throw away culture, BBC News

Quote:
Originally Posted by David G4EBT View Post
As to making things to last longer and to be repairable, just over five years ago we bought a 19" Blaupunkt TV from Richer Sounds. It cost £125. After fours and a half years it went on the blink (wouldn't change channels either on the remote of the TV). I took it back to Richer who said "It's beyond economical repair, it's no longer made and it's obsolete so we'll replace it with a Smart TV with Freeview, iplayer, HD ready' built in DVD player/recorder etc". He went into the storeroom and came out with a 24" Toshiba TV, price at the time from Richer was £149. I asked if they expected me to pay for the extra for the upgraded TV. He said "Of course not - we don't pull stunts like that - my job is to put a smile on your face, not to pick your pocket". I asked if the guarantee would end at the five year stage of the original TV. He said no - it will have the normal warranty, which is now six years'.
I rejoice at this: you had a problem, the store accepted the problem, and sent you away happy. Customer-service like it should be. Almost certainly "at the manager's discretion" but truly a great advert for the brand and I bet you'll be returning to Richer Sounds for future purchases.

[I hope they consigned the dead-and-obsolete telly to their WEEE skip so it got properly recycled].