View Single Post
Old 12th Jan 2019, 7:32 pm   #48
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Default Re: Changing the throw away culture, BBC News

I guess there are several meanings to recycling.

Firstly, not throwing away items which are still functional but are no longer wanted or needed. We have a very active 'Freegle' group locally where all sorts of items from bikes to furniture, TVs, printers, guitars - even aluminium greenhouses are offered free.

The Local Authority at the waste disposal site also has a busy 're-use shop' where items which would otherwise have gone into skips are offered for sale. Electrical goods at PAT Tested and checked that they're in working order. As this area is flat as a pancake, it's always had a high proportion of people who ride bikes - not to keep fit or for leisure, but for getting about - to work to shops etc. Lots of bikes for sale at nominal prices, all checked for safety.

Ironically, the largest number of bikes that get are children's and they rarely sell so are destined for the skip. The reason they don't sell is that bikes make an ideal Christmas or Birthday present and most parents won't give their kids a secondhand bike as a present. The problem is exacerbated as children soon grow out of their bikes and need a larger one. (Another Birthday/Christmas present). They also have scores of sets of golf clubs which no-one seems to want, but at least the Council makes an effort. (I often see timber, plywood and old solid oak and mahogany furniture in the skips, which seems rather a shame when the likes of me would gladly give it a home).

As to making things to last longer and to be repairable, just over five years ago we bought a 19" Blaupunkt TV from Richer Sounds. It cost £125. After fours and a half years it went on the blink (wouldn't change channels either on the remote of the TV). I took it back to Richer who said "It's beyond economical repair, it's no longer made and it's obsolete so we'll replace it with a Smart TV with Freeview, iplayer, HD ready' built in DVD player/recorder etc". He went into the storeroom and came out with a 24" Toshiba TV, price at the time from Richer was £149. I asked if they expected me to pay for the extra for the upgraded TV. He said "Of course not - we don't pull stunts like that - my job is to put a smile on your face, not to pick your pocket". I asked if the guarantee would end at the five year stage of the original TV. He said no - it will have the normal warranty, which is now six years'.

Great service, and true, it might only have needed a cap or two to repair, but the labour costs would have prohibited that, and if it had lasted six months, how would that have helped me, or their reputation? Customer goodwill is money in the bank - I'd never go anywhere else but Richer for TVs of hi-fi.

As to cars, we have a Hyundai i30 which has a five-year no quibble Warranty.

AS to cobblers, there are several Timpsons and other cobblers around here, but I think one reason their workload has dropped is that many of us don't walk so much. I've got a pair of perfectly serviceable Timberland shoes with synthetic soles rather like on walking boots. I bought them in 1994 and the soles still aren't worn out. (I do have other pairs of shoes!). I wear them for walking round the village and in town. We're in a walking Club but wear boots for that.