View Single Post
Old 30th Dec 2018, 4:45 pm   #41
stevehertz
Dekatron

Default Re: HMV in administration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thermionic View Post
Like an earlier poster, I prefer to own a hard copy of what I like to listen too. I do wonder how musicians, engineers, backing musicians etc, would say if it ever got to the stage where a physical copy completely disappeared. Streaming and downloading is great, but how do you give credit to the musicians, producers, etc if all people want to do is listen to a ‘ghost’ copy?

Personally, l like reading the CD / DVD inserts. I like to know who the musicians were, who wrote the song, who engineered and mixed the track, etc. Ok, so this could be provided with a download, but it’s unlikely most people would bother opening up a ‘window ‘ to read the credits!

SimonT.
This is the reason why bands and artists are touring again - and charging a fortune for tickets. At the concerts they sell merchandise including tee shirts, posters, jackets, CDs etc as another way of making money. They are basically losing money by the truckload as a result of downloading. Maybe it's just because 'it was always that way' for me, but I like to own and handle 'the music'. A song title on a computer screen just isn't the same thing for me even though admittedly given good quality reproduction equipment, the resultant sound is just as good.