View Single Post
Old 22nd Nov 2020, 12:12 pm   #22
Radio Wrangler

Default Re: BBC Turntable - possible to use at home ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulM View Post
Enthusiasm to power my twin unit has somewhat evaporated :-(
My apologies if I contributed to that. But do you intend to operate as a museum of BBC historical artefacts? If you do, you need to keep it intact.

If you don't, then you do have two very fine turntable units and the Technics SP10 are supposed to last very well. Hopefully you didn't pay as much as a pair of Garrard 301s go for in the audiophile world. It might be worth making a plinth to take one turntable and a less compromised arm and cartridge the only loss would be suitability for fast starts and back-cueing.

I bought an ex-BBC Revox B261 tuner. There were added connections for remote control, outputs, a different mains connector and the cabinet's plastic side cheeks were missing. Out came the added remote control wiring and the output connectors got tidied up, the sidecheeks were a problem, so I routed out a pair from solid oak. It is a VERY good tuner, but one from civvy street would have been less work It had run long how hours and dozens of small electrolytic capacitors had been baked to high ESR. Broadcast equipment is optimised for different purposes than domestic equipment.

David