View Single Post
Old 25th Jun 2020, 5:14 pm   #1
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Default "I never got it to work", the story of a £15 PRC320

A few years back, at the Cobham/FRARS rally, I spotted a battered and looked-like-it-had-been-stored-in-a-chicken-shed PRC320 in a bin under one of the fleamarket-stalls. Casually enquiring of the seller he told me "I never got it to work". Now that either means he

[1]lost patience and gave up after a couple of hours of not-understanding-the-instructions,

[2]spent an entire weekend of soldering in replacement parts at random and most of the PCBs are missing tracks, or

[3]robbed it of most of the interchangeable modules so what's on-sale is an empty shell.

We talked. I bought it for £15. it could always provide knobs/meters etc for my other PRC320. Then "events" happened and it sat on a shelf for five years.

("Lockdown" time, and I was bored. In normal-times I'd have access to the entire test/instrumentation lab of my ex-company, but that's not accessible now, so this would be a "kitchen-table" refurb).

Job One: Clean off the crud. Going-over it with a paintbrush-dipped-in-white-spirit, followed by a gentle jet-wash, cleared off the grosser crud. [Thankfully the PRC320 is Royal-Marines-grade waterproof]. Then, after leaving it out in the sun for a day, I hooked it up to power/audio-gear/an antenna.

It was deaf. Really deaf. Wiggling a screwdriver into the antenna socket produced only a hint of a crackle. And even with the gain-control fully-to-the-right there was much less than the usual 'sharsh' background noise. But thankfully it didn't produce the PRC320 synthesizer wail-of-unlock on any band. There was hope!

Sticking a dummy-load on the antenna terminals and activating the PTT - lots of relay-chatter and strange audio-squeals! Interestingly, sometimes after this the 'sharsh' level would increase to what I'd expect from a healthy PRC320. More hope!

So I split the case [all those Allen-head setscrews...] Inside I found all the modules present (phew!) but module-5, the switched-mode inverter, looked to have been meddled-with. So out it came. Several of the TO5-cased transistors had been replaced, but - paradoxically - the 130V-rated tantalums (the usual failure here - they are expected to run at 125V) were original.

Having nothing better to do, I went *really* closely over the entire pair of boards with my magnifier - and - ["Hunting High and Low" - A-ha!] one of the original TO5-metal-can ICs had been replaced by a 6-pin DIL chip on a 'piggy-back' board. This looked rather professional, unlikely to have been done by an amateur. But between two of the leadouts was a tiny solder-bridge. I poked it and it broke away.

Next - a 'Kitchen Table' test-rig using resistors to simulate the expected transmit/receive loads on the different power-rails. Everything looked good! But before reassembling the module I swapped-out those troublesome 130V Tanties with modern 105C 160V-rated electrolytics.

Refitting Module-5, decent audio-level of 'sharsh' and no more relay-chatter-and-squeals when I hit transmit. But still deaf-as-a-post 90% of the time and 'odd' RF-power-out indications.

Cut-to-the-chase: the PRC320 has a two-BNC-connectors-on-a-metal-tube link between its RF I/O and its built-in ATU, the idea being that for manpack/mobile operations you use this to link to the internal ATU but if you want to connect a proper dipole antenna or use the 320 as a driver for a linear-amp in a base-station you unplug the link and have direct access to the RF I/O.
In my case the sliding 'trombone' section of the link was full of gruesome corrosion: disassembling it (spring out the plastic circlip) and cleaning using a fibreglass-tipped PCB-brush with lots of aerosol car-brake-cleaner followed by a squirt of Servisol - refitting it to the 320 gave me good receive and no odd transmit-shutdowns.

So, reassemble everything into the case [I only fitted four of the Allen-screws ftont and rear] and then an on-air test.

Yes, it's good-to-go! On 28MHz I was happily working stations in Austria, Germany and Poland.

Not bad for £15!

[Photo shows the 320 in my kitchen - yes this was a real 'kitchen worktop' rebuild!"]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	320.jpg
Views:	502
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	209471  

Last edited by G6Tanuki; 25th Jun 2020 at 5:31 pm.