Thread: Philips 151U
View Single Post
Old 17th Oct 2018, 9:36 pm   #1
sexton_mallard
Hexode

Default Philips 151U

This little radio arguably was the very first valve radio I came across back in the early 1990's when it appeared at my nan's house, donated I think, by a well meaning neighbour. I remember the pffft! as the across-the-mains cap blew up

Many many years later to a few weeks ago, it sat on the top of a large bookcase as an ornament at my parent's house. Time to reactivate! Following a strip down, the case and chassis cleaned up well. Following the usual gentle power-up on bulb limiters, the radio ran well on its original bitumen coated caps, the speaker buzzed and rattled a little. A full recap was done of all black caps, the mains smoother 50-50 mfd electrolytic was fine and ran cool after a period of being slightly warm as it (I assume) reformed.

Removing the speaker dust cap, vacuuming out the voicecoil and magnetic gap as best I could, the rattle was fixed after re gluing the voicecoil leads back down on the face of the cone. I thought I was using another glue but I used PVC pipe jointing cement by mistake which as it turned out worked fine! The speaker now works well .

A bit of lubrication, cleaning and reseating of valves was done, voltages were good and all resistors were OK. I disconnected the external aerial sockets as I had no Y rated caps to hand and the radio performs well enough as an AC/DC set with a ferrite rod aerial.

The set is now back together and blasting out Radio Wales as I type, waiting for it's return to my parents on my next visit. It performs really well!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20181016_006.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	86.0 KB
ID:	171154   Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20181016_004.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	171155   Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20181008_002.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	111.7 KB
ID:	171156   Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20181002_001.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	171157  

Less snakes...more ladders!

Last edited by sexton_mallard; 17th Oct 2018 at 9:44 pm.