View Single Post
Old 15th May 2019, 5:01 pm   #7
Radio Wrangler

Default Re: Creek 4040 help please!

Seeing that circuit would have me putting people off buying anything from Creek.

Looking at it, it could well be intentional... it ought to sound bad and have poor reliability.

However, if you take the opposite direction of logic, if that's what they think an amplifier ought to be like, their produce shouldn't be touched with a barge pole.

Deliberately putting out misinformation can easily backfire.

Anyhow, whichever way it is, having several revisions suggests they have had prolonged trouble with the thing.

It amuses me that these audio companies keep acting as if they had the formula for some secret rocket fuel and have to protect it from spies. Their competitors probably got one of the first units sold and took it apart. Most certainly their analysis and costing would be right on the money. It's all a game to make their products look more precious. Building an isolated research lab, surrounding it with electrified fences and rabid guard dogs would appeal to them.

How to design a good audio amplifier is no secret. Buy a copy of Douglas Self's book. It's all out there in the open.

What does interest competitors is the costing and an analysis of serial numbers to get an idea of sales. They're also interested in marketing claims. Have they discovered a new imaginary parameter?

I think Richard's going to have to trace out the circuit of the thing before him to make any progress so he can discard all the distractors. Then a sensible diagnosis can be planned. It's likely to turn into an impulsion to do a redesign.

David