Thread: Maplin stores
View Single Post
Old 23rd Feb 2018, 9:47 pm   #132
IanBland
Hexode

Default Re: Maplin stores

I'm a regular visitor to my local store, for bits and bobs. I often, um, "upsell" myself. Popped in for a click and collect of low value, end up buying a gigabit switch as well or something. But I appreciate this doesn't really a successful business make, in general.

I remain baffled as to why their website, a key sales and marketing tool, is so incomprehensibly bad. They actually "upgraded" it less than a year ago and the capacity to actually find anything on it actually managed to get even worse. Whatever numpty thinks I want to scroll through every possible resistor looking for 1k, with the choice of selecting by how many stars they have needs shooting. That alone must cost them a lot of sales. That and only having one or two of anything in stock.

They're a long way from their heyday, but the world has changed. But if they go down I will miss having a shop to go in. Some things are quite difficult to choose without seeing them e.g. little plastic boxes for projects, or switches that you want to fit some particular physical situation. That, and the shop is much quicker than delivery, particularly when it's Friday to Sunday and you just want a bit of heatshrink.