View Single Post
Old 10th Apr 2021, 11:01 pm   #7
slidertogrid
Octode

Default Re: TV Radio repair shop in Peterborough circa 70's

Modern had two shops, one next to the bus station at Millfield and the other on the triangle which became Bourges Boulevard at some point.
I used to scrounge old tellies from there on a weekly basis. Lots of barrel Murphys and the like. My Invicta (Pye 11U) came from there, a set which I still have.
When Modern finished Lew Nicholls opened a shop a few doors down from the original shop on the triangle. The shop by the bus depot lasted another year or so and then it too closed down.
Lew had enough of being self employed on the early 1980's and took a job at Paul Taylor's. I had worked for the same firm and had left to become self employed a couple of years earlier working from home.
I took over Lew's old shop and ran it until late 2000 . Lew came to work for me in the mid 80's and stayed until he retired I think in the late 1990's. I sold out to another dealer in late 2000 as I saw the sh1t heading for the fan.
The shop finally closed around 2005/6 finally ending there being a TV shop on "the triangle".

Other Peterborough shops I pestered as a lad in the early 70's were Ivan Dow and REL electrics both also on Lincoln Road. Harry Bone in Gladstone ST just around the corner from British relay on Cobden St. There was another place called HED services just off Eastfield road they had huge piles of old sets stacked up at the back of the shop. There was one on Mayors walk, TV services (TVS) they had a huge skip around the back usually full of cardboard which meant any old sets thrown in usually had a soft landing! I had a Pye Continental from there that was immaculate ( but old) I let a school mate have it and it went for years eventually going to Uni with him!
Happy days!
Rich