View Single Post
Old 13th Jun 2017, 4:53 pm   #51
telstar
Octode

Default Re: Radio Caroline to return on Medium Wave.

Here is hoping that I will be able to hear this station once again. These stations were an education in music because of the rarities that they played whether it be from U.K, U.S, or European groups. It would not have been possible if Georgie Fame had not found a fault in the record industry and that 4 big record companies controlled what music you could have (no small labels allowed).
Personally speaking I never believed that they caused interference to other users, and the jamming to their frequencies just made matters worse. I was told once that the so-called interference caused by the pirates was made up as a story or a joke by people that just wanted to cause bother. I wonder if there was a jamming station on that place called Orford Ness (Suffolk) where my late father once worked on a military (top secret) site in the 1960's. I must emphasize that it was "quite scary stuff" at the time to be told as a young lad not to listen to such stations (pre- 1967) by my father (totally out of character for him to do this) who worked on a top secret establishment. Both my brother & I had no idea about "cold wars" and just wanted to listen to music (not a very fair system!)
I got sick of the general idea of what people had been given about the ships being wanting to cause interference, or not pay license fees for broadcasting or music - the latter two facilities were denied by the authorities concerned because they did not want commercial radio. It was the BBC's fault that this situation ever occurred. After 1967, the idea was to go back to the Light, Home & Third system of the BBC and not to project forward to the present day system. I do not listen to Radio 1, but I do sympathize how the station was originally treated as a satellite of Radio 2
All the 1967 law did was turn music stations in to a kind of witch hunt.
The 1960's was a strange era for mass destruction on broadcasting.
Cheers
Mike