View Single Post
Old 29th Mar 2018, 1:59 pm   #47
Argus25
No Longer a Member

Default Re: Wiring 'Aux-in' (iPod) connectors to Car radios

One thing that needs to be considered here, as I mentioned on another post, if it is a live chassis scenario an isolating audio transformer is required.

While some isolation can be afforded by capacitive coupling for the combined L & R signal and the common connection from the ipod (say with a two resistor two capacitor combo) this is NOT satisfactory from the safety perspective for a live chassis set. The required value of the capacitors to have a satisfactory audio bass response could pass too much current at 50Hz if the chassis went live and represent a shock hazard and the voltage ratings of them would be high too.

The only way to safely couple audio to a live chassis set would be with a split bobbin (double insulated style) iron cored transformer to eliminate the risk of electrocution. Ideally it would be wound for the task, though it may be possible to use a mains plugpack transformer in reverse. In general, I would not attempt it due to the hazards and as I suggested, use a Pantry transmitter to get the ipod signal into the radio instead.

Obviously coupling into battery powered radios is fine.
Argus25 is offline   Reply With Quote