View Single Post
Old 29th Jan 2023, 10:16 pm   #17
Buzby123
Heptode

Default Re: North west Computer Museum

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_in_manc View Post
... they got a load of funding to try to re-purpose it - looks like this is one of the new tenants. The engine house and big cross-compound mill engine survives, ...
Yes, the mill is one of the last of it's kind to still have surviving engines. I've not actually been in the Heritage Centre which is about the building itself, but there are plenty of other organisations in the three floors above. ( I fancy a trip to the film centre, they're showing 'Alien' and 'Aliens' in a double feature early next month. )

The NWCM itself is aiming to be more than just a museum. The education room has some neat RPi and Arduino workstations. Soon there will be an arcade games room with Space Invaders and such stuff.

So who will benefit from the museum ?

Obviously old time users will enjoy reliving their early days, but by attracting a younger audience with the arcade and education rooms, the hope is they will introduce a new generation to the old stuff as well.

On the way back from the museum, I stopped off at another 'saved' building I have an association with. I was talking to a guy I've known for three years. When I mentioned NWCM he said 'That sounds just the place I can send my HP85 and calculators. They've been in the attic for years.'

How much other stuff have people got that they don't mention ? !.