View Single Post
Old 27th Nov 2017, 10:05 pm   #1
The General
Hexode

Default Hewlett Packard 200CD Wide Range Oscillator

This 200CD was an ebay purchase. The seller packed it well & it arrived well protected & in good order.
HP introduced the 200CD in 1952 & produced it all the way up to 1985 - a 33 year production run with a few minor mods along the way, e.g. the original octal valves became miniature B7G/B9As & the last variant ditched the 5AR4 (GZ34) for semiconductor diodes. This one has the miniature valves & the 5AR4 rectifier so ticks the boxes for me. The date code on the three can electrolytics indicate it was built in 1960.
Well first job is to uncase it & see what we have. The chassis upper & power transformer were quite dirty, something had clearly been spilled on the top & dripped through the vents. The underside was clean & unmolested while the variable capacitor gearing was stiff with (hopefully) old grease.
So clean up & sort the mechanical bits first. Removing the shield around the capacitor & also the gear train made enough access to clean the chassis top & front panel with foam cleaner. The big tuning dial cleaned up nicely with Flash kitchen surface cleaner & gentle use of a mildly scratchy sponge (after having tried it first on the dial rear - always test first on a non visible surface!) I put penetrating oil in all the shaft oil holes which did free them up a bit overnight but I did have to pull the shafts out & wipe them off to really free everything up. Reassembled it all & now we have a nice smooth tuning action. Took a little fiddling to get the variable cap aligned with the gear train but the cap's on threaded adjusters. Good old HP.
Now to start on the electronics....
To be continued...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	200CD before 1.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	152973   Click image for larger version

Name:	200CD before 2.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	152974   Click image for larger version