Thread: Maplin stores
View Single Post
Old 1st Nov 2017, 4:52 pm   #32
GrimJosef
Dekatron

Default Re: Maplin stores

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesperrett View Post
... I wonder if there is an opportunity for someone to do a Toolstation/Screwfix style operation for electronics? Go for cheaper locations (with easy parking) with very little on display. You just choose from a catalogue and order at the counter.
I used to work in a large science lab (1200 staff of our own, several thousand more on the same site in neighbouring more-or-less science-based operations). When I first arrived we ran a stores which supplied the basics. We also had a single-supplier contract for electronics which swapped between RS and Farnell and promised next day delivery with no minimum order. Eventually stores was closed and everything had to be bought in.

I was told by a reliable source that at one stage our supplier (Farnell at the time, I believe) offered to stock and staff an on-site warehouse, with a counter, and run an internal charging scheme all for free. All they wanted in return was a reasonable deal on the rent (we had spare space) and the ability to serve external customers as well (some of our space was conveniently located outside our security fence, and we were an 'open' lab in any case).

Our management simply said no .

Cheers,

GJ