View Single Post
Old 14th May 2021, 6:24 pm   #9
hillsrob
Tetrode

Default Re: JVC VCR PSU problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott5591 View Post
Hi,

I’m having problems with JVC 8700ek S-VHS player I recently got.

When plugging in from a cold start up ie being unplugged for 24 hours then plugging it back in all that seems to happen is the fluorescent display flickers and there is a very slight clicking coming from the PSU. Then after about 30 seconds to a minute it’ll power up and work completely fine.

Something is obviously not working correctly until it’s been heated up.

Do you think this could be PSU capacitors on their way out or some other component?

Thought I’d ask on here first for some suggestions as these late VCR’s aren’t very service friendly And isn’t easy to test any components in circuit with having to remove the whole board and loading mechanism
Not in any way a related model but I have an ITT Nokia S-VHS machine from the early 1990s which was left unused for a long time. It then exhibited this flickering of the fluorescent display and not much else until it had been left on for a while. It turned out to be a rechargeable button cell used for preserving some memory settings. Leaving it on for a while charged the cell enough for the machine to spring into life. If left for a week or so it would revert to the flickering display again. I'm guessing that the discharged cell put a load on a supply rail needed for other functions.